Powered By Blogger

Thursday 3 May 2012

App roundup

I spend most of my days on my iPad. I thought it might be nice to share some of the apps I use in conjunction with my scleroderma and health issues. Some are medical apps, some are just apps to fill the day. So in no particular order, let's get started.



1. Rxmindme-This is a great app for keeping track of your medicines and their schedules. It's a full featured app allowing you to setup definitions, note when a meds taken and schedules for each med. This includes the meds you take numerous times through the day or one offs, like painkillers, or temporary meds, like a round of antibiotics. An iPhone app but works on iPad as well.

2. Evernote-A cloud based storage for multiple file types. I use this to keep track of any changes in my health for my doctors. I often forget questions I have as soon as the doctor walks in the room. Photos, questions and notes, broken down by doctor or particular ailment available on both iPhone and iPad make this a very useful app. The app is synced across devices as well.

3. Dragon Dictation-Like it sounds, this is a dictation app. Useful for when your hands are hurting or you aren't feeling well and want to send out "I'm alive" messages to friends and family. Available for both iPad and iPhone.

4. iTeleport-A VNC client. This allows me to simply control my computer with my iPad or iPhone. It acts as a giant touchscreen mouse and remote monitor but also has a fully functional keyboard. Great for when you don't want to sit in front of a computer or have it hooked up to your tv.

5. Goodreader. A .pdf reader and creation app. It has basic text files compatability. My favorite feature is the ability to transfer PDFs from my pc using the browser instead of iTunes. You're also able to transfer files to other compatible apps such as iBooks. For both iPad and iPhone.

6. Appshopper-I'm cheap. This app monitors the AppStore. Create a wish list of apps. It lets you know of price changes and updates.

7. Tweetbot-One of the few apps I've paid for. A full featured twitter client. Offers more functionality then any free app I've tried, including twitters own. Sadly each device has its own version and cost. If you're cheap get the iPhone one as it will work on both devices but the iPad one is the nicer looking one.

8. Pulse, Zite, Flipboard-My 3 main news apps, aside from the stand alone big guys like the Globe and Mail. Pulse I use with RSS feeds and my comedy sites. Zite is an aggregator that pulls news from numerous sources and learns your taste in stories pulling what you have interests in and leaving the crap behind. A real news app. I've never seen an article about the Jersey Shore. That alone makes it a favorite. Flipboard is like Zite but prettier and focuses more on media like photos and videos. Not sure if it learns but it does a reasonable job of keeping fluff out of most topics.

9. Redeye-This is a remote control app. It does require buying the IR remote plug from redeye ($100). A universal remote. It controls all my devices. TV, VCR (yes I still have one), DVD player, PVR, Xbox 360, Wii (not motion stuff button presses only). Turns your iPad/iPhone into a touchscreen remote.

10.Remote-Apples remote app to control iTunes and AppleTV.

11. Free games-I'm a dragonvale fan. Game apps change prices daily. Check out freeappaday.com and iosnoops.com for free apps daily.

No comments:

Post a Comment